Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The Subway Chronicles edited by Jacquelin Cangro

On a recent trip to the NYC Transit Museum, I picked up a book of collected essays called The Subway Chronicles. I was especially excited to see that two of my favorite authors, Francine Prose and Calvin Trillin, has pieces in the book.

Overall, I was surprised by the consistent quality of the essays contained within this volume. The Calvin Trillin piece had me laughing (and only strengthened what I refer to as "my old man crush," brought about by his straight-forward humor and complete honesty.) "What I Feared" by Elise Juska was a great find as well.

The book was inspired by essays submitted to thesubwaychronicles.com, a website founded by Cangro in 2002. The website is also fantastic, complete with more essays, poetry, "Top 5" lists, and more. Click here to check it out.

I initially decided to just read one essay a day as a little treat to myself when I got home from work. However, on the third day, I just started reading it whenever I had the opportunity. Definitely a great find.

No comments: