Tuesday, June 24, 2008

In The News

What is reported on television and in our newspapers has been a topic of conversation more and more during the past few years. With a war and an administration embroiled in many questionable practices, it's interesting to see what is actually hitting the front pages of our newspapers.

Sherry Ricchiardi has a story in the current issue of American Journalism Review that confronts this issue head on. Ricchiardi writes about newspaper coverage of the war, specifically how it has all but disappeared. Why don't we care enough about this war to involve ourselves in it's realities? As someone who is always seeking out new, off-the-beaten-path reading, it surprises me how much I just accept what is handed to me in terms of news. Rarely do I seek out more information. I don't trust the news sources around me, but I'm not taking steps to further my knowledge either. And I'm pretty sure that this is the norm.

I struggle with the fact that information equals business. Just like clothing stores are going to sell what's fashionable using appealing marketing strategies, news organizations are going to sell stories that are "fashionable" and use appealing marketing strategies. And just like in the cases of fast foods and other consumer goods, neither the producer nor the consumer is taking responsibility.

Ricchiardi outlines why news organizations have neglected war coverage and poses many questions for her readers to think about. In the end, it seems the only solution for bringing war coverage, and hopefully more awareness of the war, is the fact that it will probably come up as a campaign issue in the coming months. Other than that, it seems that as far as the news goes, it will be business as usual.

For more information:
Read Sherry Ricchiardi's article here.

No comments: